Google+ Life With Amberly & Joe: Make Your House a Home

Friday, May 16, 2014

Make Your House a Home

I've been making a lot of plans for our new house but I've had one goal in mind while I've been doing that; I want to make our house more than just a place to live, I want it to be a home. home 1. An environment offering security and happiness and 2. A valued place regarded as a refuge or place of origin. Source I love this quote, "Home... was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together. Not a place, but a moment, and then another, building on each other like bricks to create a solid shelter that you take with you for your entire life, wherever you may go."

House vs. Home

For quite a few years, I couldn't imagine myself getting married and moving out of my house. It was my comfort zone. My bedroom was my sanctuary, decorated with my favorite colors and the things that made me happy and I didn't want to leave it. When Joe and I started talking about marriage and I revisited those feelings, I realized that I didn't feel the same anymore. My favorite place to be was wherever I was with him. Both of our apartments haven been great! We've decorated them to show reflect our personalities and do as much as you can with an apartment to make them our own. I can't wait to make our new house into a sanctuary. I want it to be a place where our friends and family want to come visit, a place where our future kids, their friends, etc. want to hang out and feel at home. Atmosphere is everything!

^^In your arms is my favorite place to be.

When you first enter our home, I want it to feel fun, comfortable and inviting. I have so many ideas for my front room. The colors, the furniture, the decorations. There will be a lot of people who only see that room of our house, and I want it to be a reflection of who we are, what we love and what our values are.

The kitchen will be the next room people see and probably one of the most lived in rooms in our home. I want it to be fun and full of personality. I picture family dinners around the kitchen table, lots of parties with good food and great friends, making cookies with my future kids, game night around the table.... I have high expectations for my kitchen.

Our living area will be cozy, inviting and warm. Movie nights, homework sessions, quality conversation, cuddle time... the life of our house will happen here. I want everyone to feel at home in that room and I want our family to want to hang out there together every night instead of in our bedrooms, even if we're all working on something different and not necessarily interacting with each other.

The master suite will be a place of solitude for Joe and I and our relationship. We've stayed in a couple of hotels and bed & breakfasts that had an atmosphere I dream of for our bedroom. Cozy, romantic, quiet, and calming. I know it might not always be an escape when we have kids, but I'm going to do my best to make it feel like one.

In the future I hope to have enough space for a guest suite (bedroom and bathroom), music room, Peter Pan themed playroom, formal office and craft room. Until we have a house that big in um... who knows how many years, I will just have to dream them up on Pinterest.

How do you make your house or apartment feel like a home? What kind of feeling do you want your home to have?

Amberly

44 comments:

1. I love the idea of using those mirrors to look like windows, and the curtain rod/headboard idea is really cool too! I keep telling TJ that I want to completely overhaul the look of our house (right now it's mostly just a hodgepodge of his stuff and my stuff from before we got married, and nothing really goes together, which drives me NUTS), but I need to just stop talking about and start doing it! Thanks for the inspiration :)

ReplyDelete
  2. You should just browse Pinterest! I've been collecting ideas there for forever and now that we're moving into a more permanent house, I'm going through and putting them all together! :)

ReplyDelete
  3. For my house to feel like a home, I HAVE to have paint! Totally have to do it. Which is probably why I literally hate our apartment now - it's not painted and it just looks like any other apartment. It drives me crazy, but since we're getting married, I literally don't have a spare second to paint it! Ugh!

ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your color inspiration!!

5. Annette Belnap- Tips from a TyMay 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I think it's so important that your home reflects your values. Pictures of temples and Christ are around our home because that reflects our beliefs. Thanks for these tips!

ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, paint is a good one! :) We're painting the entire place before we move in, and I'm really excited.

ReplyDelete
  7. :) Yes!!! :) We have a really great picture of the Bountiful Temple that my mom gave me when we got married, but my next purchase is going to be a big, beautiful picture of Christ! :)

ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I've never really thought of eggplant in a home but it looks so classy. Love it! It is going to look amazing!

ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks!!! I like them a lot too!

ReplyDelete
  10. I love your color choices and purple. It's my fave. Definitely pinning!

ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Erica!!! Purple is one of my favorites, it's going to be in every room of my house ;)

ReplyDelete
  12. I love the eggplant coloring. Gorgeous! And agree with you that your home should be a reflection of you! I create custom artwork for home décor. Etsy.com/shop/StarrJoy16 (just sayin) if you want to make your home truly you and unique!

ReplyDelete
  13. Purple is my favourite colour, love the bedroom idea just beautiful. Home is where the heart is that's what have been taught all my life x

ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Starr!!! I will check out your Etsy shop because I'm definitely looking for things to hang on my walls :)

ReplyDelete
  15. It is my favorite too! :) And yes, I couldn't agree more!

ReplyDelete
  16. Holy moly, you're giving me the house buying itch haha. It probably has more to do with not being able to move for awhile but still, I'm living vicariously through you :P love the colors you picked out! I find myself not buying decorative stuff because "what if it doesn't look good in the house we end up with?" So for now it's just a hodgepodge of stuff!

ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, I'm sorry!!! Now that it's official, I can't stop talking about it!!!!! Pretty much that's how I've been. And you can't make major changes to an apartment, so I've just made stuff work.

18. Aimee @ LikeMotherLikeDaughterMay 16, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I totally agree, its good to have a nice place, but i love having the homey feel. We recently redid our living room with some plants and pictures and a few things and its so much more comfy now!

ReplyDelete
  19. I love that!!! :) I'm just having to restrain myself because I want to get everything at once :P

20. C'mon Get CraftyMay 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Ditto on the bedroom - I'm still working on ours, but trying very hard to keep it a romantic, calm, kid-free zone just for the hubs and I. You've got some great inspiration going!

ReplyDelete
  21. It's so hard because with our apartment space the way it is, the bedroom tends to become our dump zone and the last room I clean. I'm determined to make that different in this new house!

22. Alyssa @ Arts & CrackersMay 16, 2014 at 4:27 PM

We just moved into a new house so we are doing a decorating revamp right now! I want to make our room warm and inviting but organized and clean and try to keep it fun. The spaces for guests are my first priority right now.

ReplyDelete
  23. It looks like purple is you favorite color as is it mine! I think it's important to decorate your home for your comfort and to reflect who you are. We have lots of mementoes of our travels. Although I love purple - and that eggplant is to die for - I chose to use neutrals throughout our house. that way I can use simple accents to change for the season or my mood. Great ideas - I can't wait to see the results!

ReplyDelete
  24. I love that description of your room! That's exactly what I'm going for! I think keeping a lot of knick knacks and things out of there will help me. :) The space for our guests will be my last priority probably :P We know where they'll stay when they come, but right now we just have an air mattress. :) We need to fix that!

ReplyDelete
  25. I have learned that no matter where I live, as long as I have my hubby next to me...it's home. SO SAPPY BUT TRUE!

ReplyDelete
  26. Purple most definitely is my favorite color!!! :) It's a great color! I like eggplant because it's kind of classy but can still be fun and it works with pretty much any color scheme. I need to figure out the changing seasons thing in my house. :P I have decor for Christmas (purple and blue) and my fall holidays, but none of the others. That will be my goal for this next year!

27. Danielle (Todays The Best Day)May 16, 2014 at 5:30 PM

LOVE this post!! The colors are gorgeous!! I ALWAYS have a candle burning. I feel like it gives the perfect little feel and smell when you walk in!! As long as I have a candle burning - all is well! :) LOL

ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks! I'm so excited to decorate!! Candles are a favorite for me too. We have a candle warmer and it's my favorite!

ReplyDelete
  29. I love the use of neutral with a pop of color - because you can totally change out the pop of color whenever you want!!!!

ReplyDelete
  30. Very true :) I like to have my color come through my decor :)

ReplyDelete
  31. I love your inspirations!! I can't wait to own a home just so I can decorate!

ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Alicia!! It's so much easier to find inspiration when I have Pinterest ;) I'm not even moved in and I'm already decorating it all in my head ;)

ReplyDelete
  33. Pinterest is the best!!! :) I guess the first step is to add some character and personality to your flat :)

ReplyDelete
  34. I love all these ideas! Especially the Peter Pan themed playroom - that'd be so much fun!

ReplyDelete
  35. I'm so excited for you to decorate your home! I would definitely feel comfortable there! So much color and elegance!

ReplyDelete
  36. You're right eggplant can be a neutral. Love it!

ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks! I'm pretty excited too :)

ReplyDelete
  38. That one is my favorite! One day I'll have one :)

39. Deidre || Love, The SkinnysMay 19, 2014 at 11:43 AM

YAY FOR HOMES!! I wish I could come play at your house and decorate with you. It is my most fave thing.

ReplyDelete
  40. I wish you could come play and help me decorate too!!!!! hahaha I'll remember you love it and if I need suggestions or opinions, I'll be e-mailing you ;)

ReplyDelete
  41. Oh my gosh, isn't Pinterest the best?! Mirrors as windows?! Curtain rod as a headboard?! Now I wanna plan every room of my house, too!

ReplyDelete
  42. It's pretty addicting! Luckily so far I've been able to do these things cheaper than I planned :)

ReplyDelete

I love comments, go ahead and leave one! I promise I'll comment back!